Hidden Gems Edition: Slovenia


Hey, travelers!! Before we dive into this topic, I am starting this new thread of content falling under the “Hidden Gems Edition.” In these posts, I will be posting content regarding places/sites people don't pay attention to that turn out to be amazing! Enjoy! :)

How did I end up in Slovenia? It all began with a simple conversation:
One of my friends ran up to me and asked with excitement, “Do you want to go to Slovenia for the weekend?” I replied, “Sure!” 

To be honest, I’ve heard of Slovakia but I’ve never heard of Slovenia. I looked it up on Google, and saw the capital of Slovenia is Ljubljana (lyoo-blyah-nuh). Quite the tongue twister, isn’t it? I knew this place would be completely foreign compared to other countries I’ve been exposed to before, but I purchased my tickets and AirBnB on a leap of faith and left that Friday morning! We finally arrived into Ljubljana, and I fell in love with the beauty instantly! The city had a placid river flowing through it, amazing European architecture, dragon statues, and much more! 

While we were there, we visited an amazing castle that overlooked the whole city. The castle had a dragon exhibit that explained the history of Slovenia’s legends and folklore. Apparently, there were legends about dragon slaying, which is why there were dragon statues all over the city that gave a cool, medieval vibe. After the castle, we went on a boat cruise through the city on the river. We all sat and adored the beautiful city with our beverages in our hands, and had a great time. Once the boat cruise was over, we walked through a market that sold fresh produce, and I ate the best strawberry I have ever had in my lifetime thus far! Throughout the whole weekend, we also went to museums, cathedrals, and visited the countryside to look at the Alps! 

This city gave me such a memorable experience. If you get a chance to visit this hidden gem, please do. I would recommend staying here for 2-3 days to be able to hit the best spots! Kick your wanderlust into high gear and get going! 


Click this link for a video sneak peek of my adventure in Slovenia: Tiana's adventure in Slovenia
Want more info on Slovenia? Click this link: All things Slovenia, but first PICTURES!

Comments

  1. Tiana, I am so jealous of your spontaneity and willingness to try new things! Often times I will get caught up in my own day-to-day antics and will forget to enjoy the little things in life. I also LOVE to travel and experience life in different places. Slovenia is most definitely on my list of places that I need to visit! Cheers to many more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a wonderful idea to highlight lesser known areas! There are even amazing places within driving range that no one knows about because they simply aren't out exploring. I don't think I have ever met anyone who has been to Slovenia. Very cool seeing your willingness to just go there so spontaneously. I can't wait to see all the great locations you will highlight here and will love reading about your experiences and how they impact you. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment