A Week in the Life of a Local - Saipan, CNMI

Hey travelers!

I was born and raised on Saipan. Living on this island has shaped me to become who I am, and it's given me my own unique perspective on how I view the world around me. Are you interested to learn about how it's like living on Saipan? Let's look at life through a different lens, the lens of a local on Saipan. Here's how I typically spend my week back home.

Monday
Let's start this week off on a positive note: "Thank God it's Monday!! I get to get back to work!"
Usually, I would spend this day going to work or school, whichever it may be. I wouldn't do anything too special. To end the day, I would either go out to dinner with family or watch a movie at home.

Tuesday
Time to turn it up a notch! After work or school, I'd spend an hour or so at the gym. Then, I'd probably go to lunch with my mom during her lunch break and run some errands after that. To end the day, I'd visit the Tuesday market and eat the local cuisine available: BBQ sticks, Turon (Deep fried banana wrapped in spring roll wrapper), coconut juice, and chicken kelaguen wrapped in titiyas (tee-tee-zas) are my favorites.

Wednesday
We are halfway through the week! What to do? LOTS! I usually have free time during the day, so I would spend it hanging out with my siblings. I'd take them to the beach or even go site-seeing. When I don't have to babysit, I'd go shopping or go to the beach and read a book with a beer on hand!

Thursday
It's Thirsty Thursdays! Today is lots of fun. I usually spend the day relaxing or running errands, then when the sun goes down, the fun begins. First, I would visit street market and get local cuisines again (Can't get enough of sweet coconut juice!). Then, I would usually have a drink out with the cousins or go to happy hour.



Friday
Fridays! I'd definitely hit the beach on Fridays. I would start the day grabbing coffee at Cha, Java Joes, or Paris Croissant & Cafe. After getting my coffee fix, I would go window shopping around Garapan and buy whatever is needed. For lunch, I'd most likely dine in with my mom at Miyako at Hyatt Regency Hotel or at Zoom cafe and eat korean chicken! To end the day, I usually try to make time to watch the sunsets (they're the best in the summer). Lastly, I'd probably go out for drinks or enjoy the nightlife.

Saturday
Today is the day we usually have breakfast at the beach with the whole family! We would all cook breakfast at home, pack it up, and bring it to the beach by 9 or 10 AM. We'd all hangout, have coffee or mimosas, swim, play games, and feast on the food prepared earlier in the day. Sometimes, we'd stay at the beach for hours and time would fly by. Afternoons and nights on Saturdays are always to be determined. You never know what's in store!



Sunday
It's family day. On Sunday, my family and I would usually go to mass at 9 AM. After mass, we'd head over to Wild Bills, IHOP, Judy's Cafe, or the family beach house for breakfast depending on the mood. The whole day, we visit other family members and usually spend time with each other and enjoy each other's company.

And that, fellow travelers, is a brief overview of my week in the islands. This is my experience, but I'm sure everyone experiences the island differently. What do you do throughout your week?

Comments